CyberKnife Patient Support Group Cyberknife.com All posts found on this patient forum are archived and are no longer live. They are available to read only.
New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Show Newest Post First ]

christinat
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined May 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 5/16/2006 7:40 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
A friend of mine underwent cyberknife treatment for a brain tumor and recommended this site. So, first of all, thank you to everyone in the support group, especially the doctors willing to devote their time to answering questions!

Has anyone thought about cyberknife treatment for uterine firboids?

I am 38 with 2 (in the wall) uterine fibroids. I had 1 myomectomy a year ago, and, frankly, it had zero effect. My OB/GYN is wonderful, but he doesn't seem to understand the HUGE IMPACT on quality of life that this has (periods for 3 weeks, wearing Depends, bloating and pain, embarrassment, not being able to exercise, anemia, etc.). Of course, these are minor complications compared to what so many people suffer, but one of the most startling things to me is how very few options there are for treating uterine fibroids, especially given their prevalence.

I am willing to participate in studies and trials, and to explore non-traditional treatments such as cyberknife, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel and have a hysterectomy. My main concern is fertility - although I'm not getting any younger (according to my doctor!), I do hold out hope for becoming pregnant sooner than later.

Thank you for any adivce, information, consideration, etc.!

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 4214

Posted 5/16/2006 8:06 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cyberknife is not being used for most benign tumors, including fibroids. I strongly doubt that it would be effective and could also affect your fertility depending on the dose to the ovaries. There may be other non-surgical approaches of which I am not aware.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 7510

Posted 5/17/2006 2:33 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
First of all, I'm no expert on uterine fibroids, but I have seen medical news stories on new methods of treatment. I think radiofrequency ablation is being tried, and perhaps other things as well. I would suggest you discuss these things with your gynecologist. If he can't suggest alternatives to you, then maybe it would be worth a consultation with a major GYN center, perhaps at a university.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 5/17/2006 2:37 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I should have mentioned that CK is not routinely being used for some benign tumors, but there are a number of notable exceptions, including schwannomas, acoustic neuromas, meningiomas and others. There are also some other benign conditions for which it can be used. The essential question is whether highly focused radiation will be effective, not whether the condition is benign or malignant. But Dr. Spunberg is correct in noting that it is used much less often for benign conditions.

(405) 272-7311

1011 N. Dewey Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

christinat
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006

Posted 5/17/2006 4:22 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you both for your responses. I'm hoping my doctor will help me check into the MRI-focused trials being conducted here and in the UK.

Out of curiosity - is there a particular organic/pathology/medical (versus cost and availability) reason that cyberknife is not frequently used for benign masses?

Regards, Christina

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 4214

Posted 5/17/2006 7:09 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Radiation therapy in general is mainly for faster growing, malignant tumors, with some exceptions. Also, it is best to avoid radiation exposure unless the risks outweigh the benefits. The indications for the use of radiation therapy in benign conditions have declined significantly since the 1950's when newer approaches became available for many problems.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004

Posted 5/17/2006 6:22 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Dr. Spunberg is right. Also, many benign tumors are amenable to surgical resection which has the advantage of getting rid of the mass immediately. When benign tumors are treated with CK or radiation, they generally only shrink minimally. The operative definition of success is failure to grow.

(405) 272-7311

1011 N. Dewey Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Karin G
Registered Member

Date Joined May 2006

Posted 5/17/2006 10:33 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Regarding Fibroids-
UAE-Uterine Artery Embolization - I was one of the first to have this proceedure in the late 1990's. I went to several hospitals and talked with Doctors (who specialize), shared the research I found and begged them to try it on me. Also, had to fight the insurance company to get it paid for. Now this is an accepted treatment - it works! Look for a support group like this one.
Good Luck,
Karin

mlanie
Registered Member

Date Joined Jan 2008
Total Posts : 6

Posted 11/8/2008 6:35 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
My 7x6mm acoustic neuroma diagnosed in late dec,2007 showed no growth in MRI taken in may,2008. Next MRI I plan on scheduling in december. I attended an AN miniconference two weeks ago in New Jersey reaffirmimg my decision to wait and watch unless new symptoms appear,(only some hearing loss on left side now), or if MRI monitoring shows a steady growth rate. In those cases, I was advised to have cyberknife before AN grows too large. My question: I've been told by my neurosurgeon that waiting and watching is fine for now BUT I may suddenly lose all hearing on that side overnight. am I risking this happening by monitoring tumor every six months? I am a 58 year old ,otherwise healthy male. Thank You.

New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:53 AM (GMT -8)
There are a total of 21,621 posts in 3,083 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 3059 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Thom Howard.
24 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details