CyberKnife Patient Support Group Cyberknife.com All posts found on this patient forum are archived and are no longer live. They are available to read only.
New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Show Newest Post First ]

neets1
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Aug 2008
Total Posts : 9

Posted 8/11/2008 4:43 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
my dad his right kidney out 5 years ago due to having a tumour. Two years ago he was told they had found some spots on his lungs but was told there was nothing to worry about the doctors didn't think there was anything to worry about. Two scans later they were still ok. In November 2007 he was told he had a nodule on his adrenal gland. He was put on Interferon for 3 months which made him ill. In june 2008 he has had his last scan and there has been no change . His bones are clear, so is his liver the spots have stayed the same on his lungs for 2 1/2 years now. He feels fine. We just wondered if the nodule on his adrenal gland could be treated with Cyberknife. A doctor who uses fractionated radiosurgery said my dad could be treated and it seems similar to the Cyberknife. We are just trying to find as many options as possible. The drug Stutent is the best drug but is expensive and the NHS will not fund it.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 4214

Posted 8/11/2008 5:22 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
CK could certainly be used for this metastatic site. At the time of placement of a fiducial marker (gold seed) in the tumor, a biopsy should be obtained to confirm the malignancy and its renal origin (kidney). CK is the best form of fractionated radiosurgery as it is the only system that can move with a moving target such as would be the case here. The tumor likely moves with respiration to some extent and regardless the CK system is more accurate than other competing modalities.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

neets1
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 8/11/2008 5:36 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks for your quick reply. How much would it cost? What do we do from here? What is our next step.

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 7510

Posted 8/11/2008 6:46 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
It is expensive. It IS the best treatment, but if the NHS will pay for stereotactic equipment there, then second-best treatment may be preferable. If you want CK, simply contact the center of your choice and let them look at the scans.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

neets1
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 8/11/2008 6:52 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
No the NHS would not pay. They wont even supply my father with an expensive drug. My dad would have to borrow some money from his house. I have just e-mailed the one in Germany but if not would you be able to treat my dad ? Thanks.

neets1
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/5/2008 11:52 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi, My father has just had his last scan and the report states that the disease is stable from June. I asked if he would be suitable for Cyberknife and the doctor said it would be a possibility. Who would I send the scan reports and cd scan to for a doctor to have a look. The scan reports he has multiple nodules throughout both lungs and these have been unchanged for about 2 years, they were concerned with the right adrenal lesion which is 3.6 x 3.3 cm. There is no lymphadenopathy. Would it be possible just to treat the adrenal ?

Thanks.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 10/5/2008 9:22 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes that would certainly be possible. Contact a CK facility near you for a review of the lung scans and an expert opinion.

(561) 799-2828

(561) 624-1717

neets1
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/6/2008 4:05 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Would my father be able to come to your hospital?

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 10/6/2008 9:38 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Yes, if it is convenient for you.

(561) 799-2828

(561) 624-1717

neets1
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/6/2008 10:13 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Have I to send you a copy of my dads report and cd scan? If so please can you send me contact details.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006

Posted 10/6/2008 1:31 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.

10335 North Military Trail, Suite C

561-624-1717 (office)

Look forward to hearing from you.

(561) 799-2828

(561) 624-1717

neets1
Registered Member

Date Joined Aug 2008

Posted 10/7/2008 12:19 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thanks will send report and scans this week.

New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:52 AM (GMT -8)
There are a total of 21,621 posts in 3,083 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 3059 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Thom Howard.
22 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details