CyberKnife Patient Support Group Cyberknife.com All posts found on this patient forum are archived and are no longer live. They are available to read only.
New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Oldest Post First ]

Shoegirl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 40

Posted 7/20/2006 9:31 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
sorry for the typo - I meant to say -
"some don't"

Acoustic Neuroma
Cyberknife -Dec 2005
Barrows Institute -Phoenix, AZ

Shoegirl
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Oct 2005
Total Posts : 40

Posted 7/20/2006 9:29 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi JP,

Welcome,

I had CK in Dec 05, similar size AN. I haven't had any balance issues. Was back to doing yoga/pilates/cardio within a month of CK. Could have done it sooner but got caught up in the holidays. I am a little over 6 months post CK and still have no balance issues.

Just remember that everyone is different. Some may have issues - so don't. Life for me right now is exactly the same as it was pre-CK minus a little hair (which is growing back).

Good luck with your decision - that is the hardest part!

If you haven't already done so - check out the Acoustic Neuroma Association suppport group. www.anausa.org

Acoustic Neuroma
Cyberknife -Dec 2005
Barrows Institute -Phoenix, AZ

pbp214
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 624

Posted 7/19/2006 8:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi JP and welcome (Hi Dr. M!)

I have had some balance issues and Dr. M (and my radio-oncologist, in agreement with Dr. M) noted low dose use of Valium (2mg/3x day) to help with balance issues (after Antivert, for vertigo, did not work for me). I have other medical issues that compound my balance issues (Chiari 1 Malformation) but I have to say that so far, I'm doing better with their recommendation of the low dose valium. I can only reply as it pertains to me as I have my complication that will throw off my balance worse, but as it pertains to my CK treatment, I do feel the valium is helping.

Will follow this thread for further updates and inputs.

be well and hoping your decision will be an easy one for you. Many of us here (and on the ANA website... www.anausa.com)

Best wishes.
Phyl

Acoustic Neuroma, 1cm x 9mm x 4mm. CK at Beth Israel Hospital/Boston MA April 3-7, 2006

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 7510

Posted 7/19/2006 5:29 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
THe little published data suggests that balance is a problem in about 14% of patients treated with GK, and it is not clear whether this is better with CK. It is substantially higher in most surgical series. THe balance problems with surgery can come from cerebellar retraction during surgery or from direct damage to the nerve. In radiosurgery, there is no cerebellar retraction obviously. This can be a problem with any kind of treatment, and even before treatment as you have discovered. THere are various rehabilitative measures that can be employed. I don't think that I have ever seen a permanent case of balance difficulty with CK, although one patient has now gone on for a while, and I think is getting better slowly. My opinion is that you are most likely to maintain your lifestyle with radiosurgery, but it is not guaranteed in any case.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

jpclayton
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/19/2006 11:35 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hi,

I am 52y/o athletic male newly dx'ed with L AN approx 1.3cm, fairly straightforward on MRI. I presented with acute vertigo, 25% high freq hearing loss and mild tinnitus. Over ensuing week high freq hearing further deteriorated but some came back with pulse steroids. Functional hearing is still very acceptable in affected ear. Balance remains an issue although I am habituating and now able to drive car, ride bicycle on street, etc.

I am considering surgical vs CK options. I have read a LOT about post CK balance issues that can last 1-2+ years after procedure. This seems to effect most individuals who post here and elsewhere. Is it that prevalen? I am very athletic and many of my activiites (back country mountain biking with jumps/drop offs, cross country skiing, off and on-road motorcycling) are balance sensitive.

I would like to know if long term balance issues are a concern along with hearing preservation should I be necessarily leaning more towards open procedure (i.e. middle fossa approach), or are the outcome data similar for both CK and open procedure(s). Are there any ways to minimize balance dysfunction in approach and rehab?

Thanks in advance,

JP Clayton

New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Monday, October 20, 2014 9:06 PM (GMT -8)
There are a total of 21,621 posts in 3,083 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 3059 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Thom Howard.
2 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details