CyberKnife Patient Support Group Cyberknife.com All posts found on this patient forum are archived and are no longer live. They are available to read only.
New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Newest Post First ]

Saphire25
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/18/2006 4:15 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Hello

My 26 year old sister was diagnosed with a right parietal lobe grade II oligodendroglioma a year ago and had her tumor debulked and partially removed at that time. She only had the surgery with no other adjuvant treatment. It was decided to do watchful waiting. It has now started to grow back in her right frontal lobe and appears to have progressed in the past few weeks to a higher grade tumor. She has been seen by a radiation oncologist who decided it would be in her best interest to have the tumor paritally removed once again and follow it by radiation and chemotherapy concurrently. We are still not sure if the tumor is operable this time around but she does have an appointment with the neurosurgeon this week. I am just wondering if she would be a canidate for cyberknife radiosurgery after her surgery, if it's operable, to get all the infiltrated bits of the tumor?? Are there parameters on the size of the tumor in order for cyberknife to be an option? I don't know the size of my sister's tumor at this point. Have you treated people with oligodendrogliomas or oligoastrocytomas and if so, how have the results been? We live in Vancouver Canada and are trying to search out other options as I know the prognosis is not very good with these type of tumors especially since it has progressed. I am just hoping it hasn't progressed into a GBM! I am a nurse and work at the BC Cancer Agency in Vancouver here so I do know a bit about these types of tumors. I also know that there aren't any cyberknife clinics in Canada so I am just inquiring about this.

I appreciate your time

radsrus
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 7510

Posted 7/18/2006 6:53 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
THere is a CK center in Seattle now.

Usually, these tumors are treated with resection and immediate radiation and chemotherapy. Oligos are unique in the brain tumors in being more sensitive to chemotherapy. If that treatment is applied now and fails, then she might be a good candidate for CK. Also, there is some decent data on blood-brain barrier disruption chemotherapy, and I think they do that at the University of ORegon.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Saphire25
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2006
Total Posts : 2

Posted 7/21/2006 12:44 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you for your insight. Her recent CT scan showed that your tumor was approx 6 cm in size so she probably isn't a good canidate for CK right now anyway. But we will definitely keep it in mind if the tumor recurs after surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy. What is your experience with oligos? I believe one pathology report refers to it as an oligodendroglioma, while another refers to it as an oligoastrocytoma. It appears as though it has progressed into an anaplastic tumor. What's the prognosis? Have you seen people live for many years with these tumors? We were told the prognosis is about 3 to 5 years with treatment.

Thank you

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 7510

Posted 7/22/2006 4:26 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
There are some long term survivors. Standard chemotherapy and radiation is probably best for now, but keep CK in mind.

St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org or cmedbery@coxinet.net

Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave.
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 4214

Posted 7/22/2006 5:35 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I have seen some long term survivors, but these tumors respond to radiation + chemotherapy and there is not much experience that I am aware of with CK. CK may play a role later on after standard treatment.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Sunday, October 21, 2018 11:48 AM (GMT -8)
There are a total of 21,621 posts in 3,083 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 3059 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Thom Howard.
29 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details