CyberKnife Patient Support Group Cyberknife.com All posts found on this patient forum are archived and are no longer live. They are available to read only.
New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version
[ << Previous Thread | Next Thread >> | Show Oldest Post First ]

Caringfriend
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Jul 2008
Total Posts : 3

Posted 7/3/2008 5:10 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Well, one thing at a time...we'll try the CK first and then we'll see if things improve...

Thanks again.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Email Address Not AvailablePersonal Homepage Not AvailablePrivate Messaging Not AvailableAIM Not AvailableICQ Not AvailableY! Not AvailableMSN Not Available
Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 4214

Posted 7/3/2008 3:43 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
I'm not sure how effective Avastin is for this kind of tumor.

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

Caringfriend
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/2/2008 11:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Thank you very much for your replies, we'll sure have his records reviewed at the CDI.

I'm a little surprised about your comment about the Avastin, we've been told that it often shrinks tumor masses even if only for a few months. I also understand that in the US this will probably be used as first line therapy?

In any case, thanks again for your prompt answers, this really means a lot to us.

Best regards.

Catia

radsrus
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2004
Total Posts : 7510

Posted 7/2/2008 5:07 PM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
And there are very good people at those centers.

Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
St. Anthony Hospital Cyberknife Center
(405) 272-7311
buddy@swrads.org

Mail to:
Clinton A. Medbery, III, M.D.
Southwest Radiation Oncology
1011 N. Dewey Ave. #101
Oklahoma City, OK 73102

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D.
Registered Member

Date Joined Feb 2006
Total Posts : 4214

Posted 7/2/2008 10:24 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Cyberknife certainly could be an option for your friend. Avastin is unlikely to be of much help in this case. I would have his films and records reviewed at a CK facility near you. These are the current centers in Italy:
Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico Gaetano Martino
Via Consolare Valeria
Messina, 98122 Italy
Phone: +39 0902211

Centro Diagnostico Italiano (CDI)
Via Saint Bon 20
Milano, 20147 Italy
Phone: +39 02 48317 625
Fax: +39 02 48317 626
Email: informazionicyberknife@cdi.it
Visit Our Website

Vicenza Hospital
Ospedale Civile San Bortolo
Vle Rodolfi 37
Vicenza, 36100 Italy
Phone: +39 0444 75 3111
Alternative Phone: +39 0444 75 3969

Jerome J. Spunberg, M.D., FACR, FACRO
Cyberknife Center Of Palm Beach
jspunberg@radiationoncologyinstitute.com
(561) 799-2828

Radiation Oncology Institute
10335 N. Military Trail, Suite C
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
(561) 624-1717

Caringfriend
Registered Member

Date Joined Jul 2008

Posted 7/2/2008 5:45 AM (GMT -8)    Quote This PostAlert An Admin About This Post.
Good morning from Italy.

I'm new to this forum and I hope I can get some information about the CK treatment. I also apologise for the length of this post.

I'm a very close friend to a man of 36 who's been diagnosed with a Glioblastoma on the right temporal-occipital lobe in May 2007. In June 2007 he had the first surgery, which debulked the whole tumor (or so). Radiation everyday for 30 days and Temodal 5 days on/23 off. Everything was stable until March 2008, when the RMI showed a massive tumor progression in the same location. In April another surgery to debulk the tumor followed, with contextual GLIASITE catheter implant and local irradiation a few days afterwards. The Gliasite catheter has been removed in early June.

The post-operation MRI showed residual tumor cells located on the right ventricle, which means not only that the tumor is still there but that it is moving. Doctors suggested to do a PET scan to verify if it is necrosis or actual tumor cells, and we're waiting for the results. In the meantime, the neurosurgeon who performed the Gliasite operation told us that in his opinion, and without seeing the PET scan, it is indeed tumor and it is inoperable.

We are wondering if a CK treatment could be an option in this case, seeing that he has already received local irradiation in April this year, and then also the PET scan last week, which I understand also provides radiation exposure. Also, am I correct to think that CK treatment is especially thought for inoperable tumors?

We are in Italy, and it is even more difficult to fight against this disease where research is far behind and clinical trials are practically non-existent...We are also trying to get the Avastin, which is not given for brain tumors here, yet. My friend is doing physically very well, and other than partial visual loss on his left side and a slight lack of sensibility in his left leg he has no other deficit and has come back to work (bless him). He has started a new chemo treatment with CCNU+PCV, but we have no faith in chemotherapies at this stage.

Thanks for listening and sorry for my English, I hope what I wrote is clear enough.

Catia

New Topic Locked Topic Printable Version

Forum Information
Currently it is Friday, November 28, 2014 8:22 AM (GMT -8)
There are a total of 21,621 posts in 3,083 threads.
In the last 3 days there were 0 new threads and 0 reply posts. View Active Threads
Who's Online
This forum has 3059 registered members. Please welcome our newest member, Thom Howard.
5 Guest(s), 0 Registered Member(s) are currently online.  Details